Sunday, 13 July 2014

John Jenkins Designs: July Releases

New Releases Expected July 2014!
THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918

The British Mark V tank was an upgraded version of the Mark IV tank, deployed in 1918 and used in action in the closing months of World War I. Thanks to Walter Wilson's epicyclic gear steering system, it was the first British heavy tank that required only one man to steer it; the gearsmen needed in earlier Marks were thus released to man the armament. The Mark V was first used in the Battle of Hamel on 4 July 1918, when 60 tanks contributed to a successful assault by Australian units on the German lines. It went on to take part in eight major offensives before the end of the War. Canadian and American troops trained on Mk Vs in England in 1918, and the American Heavy Tank Battalion (the 301st) took part in three actions on the British Sector of the Western Front in late 1918. During the Battle of Amiens in August 1918, 288 Mark V tanks, along with the new Whippet and Mk V*, penetrated the German lines in a foretaste of modern armoured warfare.
At the Battle of Amiens, B Company was organised into 5 sections, of 4 tanks each. Three tanks per section were in front or alongside the first infantry wave. One tank would be in reserve. At least one of these tanks in the front section would be a "COMPOSITE" variant of the Mark V.
The "Hemaphrodite", or "Composite" version of the Mark V tank, consisted of a "Male", heavy gun on one side of the tank, and "Female" machine gun variant on the other side of the tank.
For those collectors who could not make up their minds whether to purchase the "Male" or the "female"....... This is the answer!

Battle History Sheets in PRO WO 95-103
J18 was unable to keep direction in the mist so went to the Bray Corbie Road and proceeded along it to k13d.7.0 where it encountered considerable hostile MG fire from south of the road. Tank went to K20a.7.65 [?] where it left the road and patrolled about k20a.7.9, k9d, k16a and k15d. Tank was hit by an AT bullet which set off a 6pdr round and broke the rum ration. Many MGs fired on the tank, at least six were run over, the Hotchkiss guns kept jamming and this allowed parties of enemy to escape into the mist. At 9.30am mist cleared but further enemy MGs could not be located, the tanks were under heavy shellfire so they rallied.
** PLEASE NOTE, The first of the Australian Infantry which were previewed at the London Toy Soldier show will be released next month.**


  • BGC-017 -- 2 x Mechanic Pushing and Pulling - Two more mechanics, which can be used alongside last months BGC-17, helping to move an allied plane into cover.
  • BGC-020 -- Royal Army Chaplain's Department, Chaplin To The Forces, Captain. - Chaplains are the only British Army officers who do not carry standard officer ranks. They are officially designated Chaplain to the Forces (CF) (e.g. "The Reverend John Smith CF"). They do, however, have grades which equate to the standard ranks and wear the insignia of the equivalent rank. Chaplains are usually addressed as "Padre", never by their nominal military rank. They are unique within the British Army in that they do not carry arms. At services on formal occasions, chaplains wear their medals and decorations on their clerical robes (many chaplains have been decorated for bravery in action, including three Victoria Crosses: James Adams, Noel Mellish and William Addison) During the First World War some 4,400 Army Chaplains were recruited and 179 lost their lives on active service


Barrell's Regiment , the 4th Regiment of Foot, were to bear the brunt of the Jacobite attack on Cumberland's left flank at Culloden. Sergeants in all regiments wore plain white lace, and wore a crimson sash around the waist, with a thin stripe of the facing colour.
The halberd was one of the polearms sometimes carried by lower-ranking officers in European infantry units in the 16th through 18th centuries. In the British army, sergeants continued to carry halberds until 1793, when they were replaced by pikes with cross bars. The 18th century halberd had, however, become simply a symbol of rank with no sharpened edge and insufficient strength to be used as a weapon. It was used however to ensure that infantrymen drawn up in ranks stood correctly aligned with each other.


The British artillery of the Napoleonic Wars was well trained, efficient and motivated. There officers were very much educated professionals. They did not, could not, buy their commissions or promotions. However, the effects of all this excellent training and schooling was often negated by the small size of the artillery corps and the fact that promotion was by seniority rather than by merit. For campaign the gunners wore loose white or grey trousers. Originally they were worn over the breeches and gaiters. Later they were worn in their own right as trousers and the buttoned side fly was abandoned.
These can either be used for the Peninsular War, for Waterloo, or for the War Of 1812.


Happy Hunting!

No comments: