Pages

Saturday 30 April 2011

LAH, LAH, LAH! New Projects

I currently have two displays featuring toy soldiers representing the LAH as they appeared in 1938, just before the outbreak of WW2. Both of these displays have been featured in previous posts, one being a street scene depicting the LAH and other assorted SS and SA figures marching past the Reich Chancellery, and the other being a display of the LAH in front of the Lichterfelde Barracks

The first of these is very near completion as I only have a small amount of road surface still to fill whilst the second has only just been started and will form the subject of a number of future posts as it develops

Likewise the two projects which are the subject of this post, both in the early stages of development and both of which I fully intend to cover as they are added to over the coming months and, perhaps, years!

The first of them will sit on a shelf 50cm deep by 42cm wide and will consist of the K+C Nuremberg podium with National Eagle backdrop. The display will be based on the photo below which is taken from the Berlin '38 section of the Sierra Toy Soldiers website


My display won't look exactly the same as this, but this will give you an idea of what I will be aiming for. The mounted figures will almost certainly feature, as will the columns and one or two vehicles. This is what it looks like at the moment, as I say, very early days!



The precise composition of the ensemble on top of the podium will almost certainly change and the shelf it is sitting on gives me a lot more depth than is visible here, and a lot more depth than in the STS photo, room for quite a lot of figures!
The second project I referred to isn't, strictly speaking, about the LAH, but it is about a man who was closely connected with the development of the SS and he is featured in my 1938 street scene display

I'm speaking, of course, about Heydrich. Some time ago K+C released a limited edition set depicting his assassination at the hands of Czech agents working for the SOE. I have the set and for some time have been contemplating having a diorama base and display case made in which to display it





I am currently in negotiations with Dave, at TM Terrain, who I'm commissioning to do the base, and he is, as we speak, racking his brains figuring out how he's going to do it, based on arguably the most famous photograph showing the location of the somewhat bungled attempt on Heydrich's life


I will be posting fairly regularly in connection with all of the above mentioned projects as and when new figures and models are added, so keep looking in if you're interested to see how they develop

No comments: